.

Raj Mahal (Kunwarpadi)Rajgarh District is located in the Northern part of Malwa Plateau. It forms the North Western part of Division of  Bhopal Commissioner. Rajgarh District extends between the parallels of Latitude 23027' 12" North and 24017' 20" North and between the meridians of Longitude 76011' 15" and 77014' East. It has a Quadrangular shape with the Northern and Western sides longer than the Southern and Eastern sides respectively. The zigzag boundaries of the District resemble a pear. Rajgarh District is bounded by Shajapur District in the South as well as west. The District of Sehore, Bhopal, Guna and Jhalawar (Rajasthan) enclose it from the South-East, East, North-East, and North directions respectively. The total Geographical area of the District is 6,154 sq.km. with a population of 15,45,814 according to census 2011. It is one of the small districts of Madhya Pradesh both in respect of area and population. It is 145 KMs from the State capital Bhopal

 

.

Dargah  Baba Badakhshani(R.A.)The District takes its name from the headquarters town Rajgarh. Rajgarh District was constituted after the formation of Madhya Bharat in May, 1948. Prior to this the area of the present District was parceled out among the States of Rajgarh, Narsinghgarh, Khilchipur, Dewas (Senior) Dewas (Junior) and Indore. Rajgarh was the headquarters of a mediatised State, ruled by the Umat Rajputs and branch of the great paramara clan, they enjoyed a Sanad Estate under the Sultans of Delhi and Mughal emperors in succession. The first capital was Duparia, now in Shajapur District. Later on it was shifted to Dungarpur (19 Km from Rajgarh) and then to Ratanpur (19 Km. west of Narsinghgarh) and back. Inorder to avoid disturbance by the frequently passing Mughal armies, the Ruler of the Estate, Mohan Singh, acquired the present side, originally known as Jhanjhanipur from the Bhils in A.D. 1640. Finally he shifted the headquarters in the year 1645, giving the place its present name.

During the reign of Akbar (A.D. 1556-1605) a Khilat and a Sanad were granted to Udaji of Tatanpur. At that time, Sarangpur was a Sarkar in the Subah of Malwa. Its jurisdiction extended from the western part of present Sehore District to the eastern part of Ujjain District. Among its twentyfour mahals many have retained their original names and are identified as Ashtah, Talain (Talen), Agra (Agar), Bajilpur (Bijilpur), Bhorsah, Khiljipur, Jirapur, Sarangpur, Sondarsi (Sundarsi), Sosner (Sunner) Sajapur, Kayath and Navgam (Tarana)1. In 1908, Rajgarh State was divided in to seven Parganas, namely Newalganj, Biaora, Kalipith, Karanwas, Kotra, Seogarh and Talen. Narsinghgarh State was divided into four Parganas, namely Huzur (Narsinghgarh), Pachor, Khujner and Chhapera. The Parganas were place in the charge of a Tahsildar each for revenue matters and magisterial work.2 Khilchipur State was divided into three Paraganas. Sarangpur was as now, the tahsil headquarters of Dewas (Senior) and Dewas (Junior) States. Jarapur was a tahsil of Mahidpur District of former Indore State. It has now been abolished and merged in Khilchipur tahsil.

 

.

Temple Shrinathji

In 1645 with the permission of Rajmata, Deewan Ajab Singh defeated the Bhils in the hilly region of Rajgarh and he constructed a Palace in 1745 which was having five main gates namely, Itwaria, Bhudwaria, Surajpol, Panradia and Naya Darwaja. And it constitutes three very ancient temple namely Raj Rajeshwar Temple, Chatubhujnathji Temple and Narsingh Temple, and in which Rajmata and his 15 year old son Rawat Mohan singh was living safely. In Jhanjherpur which was capital and it is having a palace due to which this place is known as Rajgarh and it had become famous.

At present the District is divided into five Subdivisions and seven tehsils.

 

SNo

Name of Place

Location

Historical Importance

1.

Biaora Bank of Ajnar River 700 years old Chaturbhujnath Temple and 400 years old Raghunathji Temple

2.

Talen Bank of Ugal River Remain Political place of Sindhia and Holkar.

3.

Kotra Ancient Town Shyamsighji Khinchi was the Ruler

4.

Suthalia Near Parwati River Famous Temple of Mahadev

5.

Napanera Hilly Area Ruled by Sothalia

6.

Ghurel Between Biaora & Suthalia Famous temple of Pasupatinath

7.

Kalipeeth Situated in Bhilwara 400 year old Temple

8.

Chhagoda 15 miles away from Rajgarh Famous Caves

 

  Rivers & Lakes  

Sno

River / Lake

Place

Rivers

1

Kalisindh Sarangpur

2

Newaj Rajgarh & Pachore

3

Parwati Narsinghgarh

4

Ajnaar Biaora

5

Gadganga Khilchipur

Lakes

1

Parasram talab Narsinghgarh

2

Chidikho Narsinghgarh

3

Napanera Biaora

4

Chhapidam Zirapur

 

 

 

 

Sno

Sub-Division

Tehsil

Area in Sq Km

Population 2011

No.   of Villages

1

Rajgarh Rajgarh

1081.87

199276

388

2

Khilchipur Khilchipur

0779.14

163636

335

3

Khilchipur Zirapur

0845.36

168475

220

4

Biaora Biaora

1155.52

220887

287

5

Narsinghgarh Narsinghgarh

1326.41

235951

241

6

Sarangpur Sarangpur

0902.93

148647

138

7
Sarangpur Pachore  
132485
119

 

 

Political setup

          Representation of District in the Parliament

Parliamentary Constituency : 20 Rajgarh 

SNo

Assembly Segment

No.

Name

District

1

30

Chachora

Guna

2

31

Raghogarh

Guna

3

165

Susner

Agarmalwa

4

160

Narsinghgarh

Rajgarh

5

161

Biaora

Rajgarh

6

162

Rajgarh

Rajgarh

7

163

Khilchipur

Rajgarh

8

164

Sarangpur

Rajgarh

         

The representation of District in the Assembly
Assembly Constituencies

SNo

No.

Assembly Name

Extent of Constituency

 

1

160

Narsinghgarh

Narsinghgarh Tehsil

2

161

Biaora

Biaora Tehsil & some part of Narsinghgarh Tehsil

3

162

Rajgarh

Rajgarh Tehsil & some part of Khilchipur Tehsil

4

163

Khilchipur

Khilchipur Tehsil & Zirapur Tehsil

5

164

Sarangpur

Sarangpur Tehsil

 

 

    
 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------   
Home
 --  Culture  --  History  --  Political Setup  --  Revenue Division